Correspondence on compasses in iron ships, 1873 - 1880
Scope and Contents
(1) Correspondence with W. Barrett, A. Bowers, W. Kiddle, Miss J. Fotheringham, Sir W. Thomson, F. Fraisi and F. Moore regarding the fitting of compasses to ships, 1875-1878.
(2) Correspondence with the Royal United Service Institution and others, 1878, concerning a reading of Sir William Thompson's papers on the following:
1. 'A new form of Marine Azimuth and Steering Compass'.
2. 'An Instrument for completely determining the Compass error when sights of heavenly bodies or compass marks on shore, are not available'.
3. 'A new form of Marine Dipping Needle'.
4. 'A Navigational Sounding Machine'.
There are copies of the price list for nos 1 and 4; testimonials; instructions for the adjustment of no. 2; and copies of the patent for no. 1.
(3) Copies of correspondence on the correction of compasses in iron ships without use of a fixed mark, 1873.
(4) Correspondence with the German Admiralty and A. Collet concerning their attempt to obtain copies of the syllabus of lectures on magnetism, 1879-1880.
- 1873 - 1880
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date