Papers on astronomical instruments, 1876 - 1920
Scope and Contents
Memoranda concerning miscellaneous astronomical instruments, 1888-1908, including:
1. 'Measurements of portable instruments'.
2. List of astronomical instruments.
3. 'Lubricant for heavy bearings'.
4. 'Stauffers Lubricant'.
5. 'Observations with small Transit'.
6. 'Portable Transits'.
7. 'Small Transit Instrument - Paris longitude'.
8. 'Mercury basins used with small Transits'.
9. 'Transit Pavilion'.
10. 'Stellar Telescope'.
11. 'Portable Transit - illumination of field' (diagram).
Correspondence with T. Cooke and Sons concerning the new self-recording micrometer for the 3" transit instrument, 1919-1920, with a black and white photograph (5" x 8") of one of the company's transit instruments fitted with a self-recording micrometer.
Miscellaneous correspondence concerning astronomical instruments, 1886-1912, including the following:
1. Correspondence with Troughton and Simms concerning new wires for the zenith tube, the right ascension micrometer for the small transit circle and illumination of the field telescope.
2. Correspondence with A.A. Common concerning the methods for resilvering mirrors.
3. Correspondence with R. Aitchison concerning the supply of prism binoculars.
4. Correspondence with T. Cooke and Sons concerning the supply of a new 4" astrographic lens and on levels for small transits.
5. Correspondence with Troughton and Simms and D. Gill concerning portable transits.
6. Correspondence with G.M. Whipple concerning a Schanschieff battery.
7. Correspondence with M. Lecky and C.A. Young concerning the use of spirit scales.
Memoranda concerning optics, 1876-1892:
1. 'Concave enlarging lens', 1876.
2. 'Enlargement of chart or catalogue photos with 4" object glass of the photoheliograph', 1876.
3. 'Dallmeyer Photoheliograph', 1876.
4. 'Thompson Photoheliograph', 1891.
5. 'Dallmayer's new Doublet for Thompson Photoheliograph', 1892.
6. 'Measures of distortion Photographs', 1892.
7. 'Alteration of focus for the Thompson 9-inch', 1892.
8. 'Enlarging camera for the Thompson 26-inch', 1892.
- 1876 - 1920
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date