Papers on the 28-inch refractor, 1885 - 1894
Scope and Contents
Correspondence with Sir Howard Grubb concerning the production of the 28" refracting telescope, including copies of the first, second, third and final claims for instalments of payment, 1886.
Correspondence with Sir Howard Grubb concerning the cost of erecting the New Refracting Telescope, 1891-1894.
Correspondence with G.G. Stokes concerning the adaption of the 28" objective to photography and on experiments in stellar photography with 4" and 6" object glass, including a preliminary letter to W. Huggins, 1885-1888.
Correspondence with Sir Howard Grubb, 1885-1894, with an index, including the following:
1. Preliminary discussion of details and construction of a model of the 28" refractor, with estimates, 1885.
2. Correspondence on instalments of payment requested and paid; proposed tests; receipt of Treasury sanction; and general correspondence, 1885-1886.
3. General correspondence, principally on the construction of the tube, eye and dewcap, 1886.
4. Correspondence on the lenses for the object glass; the crown disc; and a letter giving a proposed date for the completion of the telescope, 1887.
5. Reports on the progress of construction, claims for payment and discussion of the erection of the telescope.
6. General correspondence, including the adaption of an existing mounting for the new telescope, the delivery of the new object glass to the Royal Observatory, and payment of the final instalment, 1892.
7. Correspondence concerning the mounting of the telescope and final adjustments, 1893.
8. Sir Howard Grubb's account for work done erecting the 28" refractor at the Royal Observatory, 1894.
- 1885 - 1894
Conditions Governing Access
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials