Papers on the Thompson Equatorial Telescope, 1894 - 1898
Scope and Contents
Correspondence with Sir Howard Grubb concerning the contract for the construction and erection of the Thompson Equatorial Telescope, including:
1. Estimate for the cost of the construction of the telescope.
2. Copy of the specifications for the telescope.
3. Two black and white photographs of the model of the Thompson Equatorial Telescope, sent to the Astronomer Royal by Sir Howard Grubb, 26 March 1894.
4. Correspondence concerning alterations to the specifications.
5. Four black and white photographs of the following parts of the telescope under construction: 1. Large wedge casting; 2. Lower portion works; 3. The clock works; and 4. Telescope tube. The photographs were sent to the Astronomer Royal by Sir Howard Grubb with a progress report on the construction of the telescope, 16 September 1895.
6. Black and white photograph of a portion of the base of the Thompson Equatorial with right ascension quick motion wheel, sent to the Astronomer Royal by Sir Howard Grubb, 16 September 1895.
7. Correspondence concerning test observations undertaken at the Dublin works of Sir Howard Grubb.
8. Correspondence with Troughton and Simms requesting the use of tackle to assist in the erection of the telescope at the Royal Observatory.
- 1894 - 1898
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date