Papers on the Thompson 26-inch Equatorial Telescope, 1893 - 1899
Scope and Contents
Correspondence with the Admiralty concerning the acceptance of Sir H. Thompson's offer of a 26-inch reflecting telescope for £5000, 1894.
Correspondence with Sir H. Thompson concerning alterations to the 26-inch reflector and its transfer to the Royal Observatory, 1893-1899.
Copies of correspondence between Sir Howard Grubb and A.A. Common concerning alterations and tests relating to the 26-inch reflector, 1895-1899.
Correspondence with Troughton and Simms concerning the delivery of a set of scales, divided according to instructions from the Astronomer Royal, 1894-1898.
Correspondence with M. Henry, 1894.
Correspondence with F. McClean on the Thompson Equatorial, 1898.
Correspondence with 'The Times', 1897, including a copy of an article titled 'The New Telescope at Greenwich', 15 April 1897.
Various memoranda, 1897-1899:
1. Scales for the Thompson Equatorial
2. The Thompson Equatorial (1899)
3. Thompson Equatorial (1897).
4. Thompson Equatorial - comparison of controlling pendulum (1897).
5. 26-inch photographic object glass.
6. Thompson photo-equatorial.
7. Thompson Equatorial - measurement of the diameter of photographs of stars taken with the 26 inch.
8. 30-inch Cassegrain Reflector.
9. Thompson Equatorial - Cassegrain Reflector.
10. Photographic Spectroscope.
11. Thompson Equatorial - photographic equatorial.
12. Rough sketch of differential of the Thompson 26-inch driving clock.
13. Dewcap of 26-inch equatorial.
14. Rough sketch of the proposed adaptor for holding dark slides, prism, etc. on the 30-inch reflector.
- 1893 - 1899
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- From the Management Group: Royal Greenwich Observatory (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org