Papers on appointments of Established Computers, 1895 - 1912
Scope and Contents
(1) Correspondence concerning the appointment of five candidates as Established Computers, 1895-1897, and general correspondence regarding the schedule of the examination for Established Computers, with a full set of exam papers. The candidates were W. Bowyer, C. Davidson, D.J.R. Edney, H. Furner and R.F. Rendell.
(2) Correspondence on the examination, appointment and resignation of Established Computers, 1901-1908, concerning the following subjects:
The examination held to appoint an Established Computer, with a query about the successful candidate's health, 1901-1902. W. Witchell was appointed following a second medical examination.
Astronomer Royal's application to the Admiralty for two additional Established Computers to be appointed to replace two temporary computers, 1901-1902. J. Storey and G. Bischlager were appointed.
Astronomer Royal's application to the Admiralty for two additional Established Computers to be appointed for photography, 1902-1903. The candidates were W.W. Burkett, J.E. Evans, J. Hicks, P. Melotte and W. Stevens. Melotte was appointed.
R.F. Rendell's resignation from his post as Established Computer on being appointed First Assistant at the Durban Observatory, 1903.
Death of G. Bischlager, Assistant, 1903.
W. Stevens' appointment as additional Established Computer for photomapping, 1903.
Nomination and examination of candidates for the post of Established Computer, 1903. The candidates were W. Burkett, J.E. Evans, J. Hicks, H. Showell and T. Staples. W. Burkett and J.E. Evans were appointed.
Nomination and examination of R. Cullen, S. Daniels and E. Vagg for the post of Established Computer, 1905. E. Vagg was appointed.
Death of E. Vagg, 1906.
Notification of the scheme for the examination for Established Computers, 1906.
R. Cullen's appointment as Established Computer, 1906.
J. Storey's resignation as Established Computer on being appointed Assistant at the Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, 1908.
Nomination and examination under the revised scheme of N.A. Acton, B.D. Evans, A.W. James, A.R.C. Lyne and A.H. Whitney for the post of Established Computer, 1908. B.D. Evans was appointed.
(3) Correspondence on the improvement of the status and salaries of Established Computers, resulting in the title of 'Junior Assistant' replacing that of 'Established Computer', 1905-1912. The correspondents are the Secretary of the Admiralty, Sir William Abney, W. Bowyer, W.W. Burkett, R. Cullen, F.W. Dyson, D. Edney, J.E. Evans, M.J. Evans, H. Furner, Admiral Field, W. Pabhall Greene, the Revd J. Glaisher, N. MacLeod, L.V. Meadowcroft, P. Melotte, G.H. Murrey, W. Stevens, J. Storey, H.H. Turner, E.T. Whittaker and W.M. Witchell.
(4) List of publications issued by the Royal Observatory during 1907.
- 1895 - 1912
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- From the Management Group: Royal Greenwich Observatory (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org