Correspondence on chronometers, 1868 - 1872
Scope and Contents
Correspondence on the rates of, repairs to, trials of, sales of, regulations of, requests on, and ownership of chronometers. The volume covers chronometers for ascertaining a ship's speed; regulations for the testing of chronometers at Liverpool Observatory; mail guards' watches; accounts for chronometers and relevant charges; chronometers for the Indian Department and the Austrian government; the Burdett-Coutts prize for the best essay on balance-springs; and a Swiss report on chronometers and watch-making. The correspondents include C. Wheatstone, G. Richards, F.J.O. Evans, W.H.M. Christie, L.A. Quetelet and W. Harkness.
- 1868 - 1872
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Christie, William Henry Mahoney, Sir, 1845 - 1922 (Knight, astronomer)
- Evans, Frederick John Owen, 1815 - 1885 (hydrographer)
- Quetelet, Lambert (Adolphe-Jacques (1796-1874) astronomer, statistician and sociologist)
- Richards, George Henry, Sir, 1820 - 1896 (Knight, naval officer and hydrographer)
- Wheatstone, Charles, Sir, 1802 - 1875 (Knight, developer of telegraphy)