Papers on clock developments, 1844 - 1848
Scope and Contents
Correspondence with clockmakers and other papers concerning new clocks and improvements. There are papers on the Royal Exchange and Hamburg clocks; the rating of the Royal Exchange Clock for 1848; ratings of various chronometers; elasticity of balance springs; improved and new escapements; E.J. Dent's magneto-electric dial; and improved pendulums by J.G. Ulrich and E.T. Loseby. The correspondents include H.C. Schumacher, Lord Wrottesley, F. Beaufort and R. Sheepshanks.
- 1844 - 1848
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 archive box(es) (1 box)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Beaufort, Francis, Sir, 1774 - 1857 (Knight, Rear Admiral and hydrographer)
- Dent, Edward John, 1790 - 1853 (chronometer maker)
- Loseby, Edward Thomas, 1817 - 1890 (clockmaker)
- Schumacher, Heinrich Christian, 1780 - 1850 (astronomer)
- Sheepshanks, Richard, 1794 - 1855 (astronomer)
- Wrottesley, John, 1798 - 1867 (2nd Baron Wrottesley, landowner and astronomer)