Papers on the Geodetic Zenith Sector, 1836 - 1846
Scope and Contents
Material concerning work with the Geodetic Zenith Sector for the trigonometrical survey of the United Kingdom. There are observations of stars with the zenith sector; papers on adjustments and equipment alterations to the instruments; sketches of instruments; zenith distances; proceedings of the Royal Astronomical Society; and a map of principal triangles in the United Kingdom. There is also correspondence with T.W. Colby, W. Denison, W. Yolland, W. Simms, J. Hornby and D.J.F. Arago.
- 1836 - 1846
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 archive box(es) (1 box)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Arago, Dominique François Jean, 1786 - 1853 (physicist)
- Colby, Thomas Frederick, 1784 - 1852 (Major General, Director of Ordnance Survey)
- Denison, William Thomas, Sir, 1804 - 1871 (Knight, army officer and colonial governor)
- Royal Astronomical Society
- Simms, William, 1793 - 1860 (scientific instrument maker)