Correspondence on Sydney Observatory, 1855 - 1861
Scope and Contents
Correspondence relating to the observatory at Sydney, including orders and requests for new instruments, the transport of new instruments and their insurance, the filling of vacancies, and financial transactions with the Oriental Bank Corporation. The correspondents include Sir W. Denison, W. Hopkins, W.H. Miller, E. Sabine and B. Stewart, as well as government departments and various instrument makers.
- 1855 - 1861
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 archive box(es) (1 box)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Astronomical observatories
- Denison, William Thomas, Sir, 1804 - 1871 (Knight, army officer and colonial governor)
- Miller, William Hallowes, 1801 - 1880 (mineralogist)
- Oriental Bank Corporation
- Sabine, Edward, Sir, 1788 - 1883 (Knight, army officer and physicist)
- Stewart, Balfour, 1828 - 1887 (physicist and meteorologist)