Skip to main content

Papers on buildings and grounds, 1873 - 1876

Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 6/52

Scope and Contents

Correspondence concerning the painting of the exterior of the Royal Observatory, 1873.

Letter regarding the appointment of Col. C. Pasley, Royal Engineers, as Director of the Engineering and Architectural Works, 1873.

Note concerning the raising of the wall curb in the South Dome, 1875.

Note concerning the insertion of fire plugs on the large maps in the Octagon Room, 1873.

Measurements and cost of slate shelves in the Records Room from 1851 to 1867.

Plan of the proposed Chemical Room, 1873.

Note to W. Ellis concerning the modification in plan number 11, 1874.

Proposed paved crossing at Blackheath gate and the removal of barriers on the footpath, 1873-1874.

Financial statement from the Blackheath Rifle Volunteer Corps for the year ending 31 December 1875, 1876.

Correspondence, circulars and reports from the South Eastern Sanitary Association, 1874-1876.

Memoranda respecting the Park gate keys, 1873-1876, including a note dated 25 July 1864.

Letters concerning the erection of a building in the Park for pendulum experiments, 1873.

Letter from Dr Finch about the Astronomer Royal's signature on a paper relating to the factories on the banks of the Thames, 1873.

Application to the Commissioners of Parks for permission to cut away some portions of trees that obstruct the Meridian Line and correspondence and measurements concerning this pruning, 1873.

Correspondence concerning Greenwich Park, 1874-1876, concerning the breaching of the walls to remove the instruments and huts for the Egyptian Transit of Venus Expedition, the construction of a new cesspool for the Royal Observatory, fallen trees, red gravel, the drainage of Greenwich Park and the difficulty in obtaining admission at St Mary's Gate.

Newspaper cuttings, circulars and correspondence on the Greenwich and Woolwich Railway and South Eastern Railway Company, 1873-1876

Miscellaneous correspondence with the Post Office, 1874-1876.

Notes and memoranda, 1873-1875, concerning small repairs of the lavatory and the Magnetic and Photographic Offices, arrangements near the South East Dome for photographic work, and the appropriation of the Magnetic and Meteorological Superintendent's Room for the Photographic Department.

Note on the rates and taxes of the Royal Observatory, 1875.

Notes and report on the fire in the South East Dome on 22 March 1876.

Letter concerning a dramatic performance in aid of the funds of the Royal Kent Dispensary and the Seamen's Hospital, 1876.

Miscellaneous notes and memoranda concerning shutter lines, shelves in the Battery Basement, broken windows, the curbs of the South East Dome, etc., 1873-1876.


  • Creation: 1873 - 1876


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (


1 volume(s) (1 volume)

Language of Materials


Former / Other Reference


Finding aid date

2006-01-03 10:56:05+00:00

Includes index.

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom