Papers on buildings and grounds, 1862 - 1867
Scope and Contents
Notes and letters regarding the archaeology of the buildings and grounds of the Royal Observatory, 1863-1867.
Reports and letters relating to the fire at the Magnetic Observatory, 19 March 1862.
Letters on the destruction of the view of the Meridian Mark at Chingford Hill, 1867.
Letters concerning the fire-proofing of the South East Dome Chronometer Room, 1867.
Note and plan concerning slate shelves for the Record Room, 1867.
Notes concerning the extension of the Magnetic buildings, 1862.
Notes and estimates for the Magnetic Basement, 1836-1866.
Plan of the new buildings in the 'Magnetic Grounds'.
Notes and a map on the alteration of the drawings of the Royal Observatory and grounds, 1862-1864.
General correspondence on Greenwich Park concerning bench marks, telegraph wires, fences, etc., 1862-1866.
Memoranda respecting park gate keys, 1857-1864, with the signature of A.M.W. Downing, dated 18 June 1873.
Correspondence concerning the Blackheath encroachments, 1863-1866.
Proposals for railways through Greenwich Park in 1863 by the Greenwich and Woolwich, the South London and the London, Chatham and Dover Companies, with letters and maps relating to same, 1862-1863.
Plans for a railway requiring the removal of the Royal Observatory, 1864.
Proposals for a railway through Greenwich Park, 1865, with letters, newspaper cuttings and maps, 1864-1865.
Proposal, 1866, from the South Eastern Railway, 1865-1866.
Proposal, 1866, from the London, Chatham and Dover Railway, including maps and an Act of Parliament.
A letter from A.M. Rendel asking where he can obtain a copy of the Astronomer Royal's report on experiments on vibrations produced by railway trains, 1864.
A letter from T. Wood concerning the vibrations caused by the passage of railway trains, 1864.
Correspondence with the Post Office authorities on the delay of letters, 1858-1866.
Letters from Airy to the Greenwich Police, 1862-1867.
Printed letters and correspondence concerning the opening of the drill hall on Blackheath for the Kent Rifle Volunteers, 1861-1862.
Note by F.J.O. Evans suggesting an alteration in the Compass Observatory seal, 1862.
Letters concerning the standard mark in the Astronomer Royal's room, 1862.
Note about the delivery of J. Glaisher's letters to his residence, 1862.
Lists of door keys.
Correspondence about the Greenwich railway extensions to Charing Cross, 1866.
Letters and a report concerning the lightning conductors, 1863-1866.
Letters concerning the gas pipes and fittings, 1862-1865.
Miscellaneous notes from and memorandum to the assistants, 1862-1867.
- 1862 - 1867
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- From the Management Group: Royal Greenwich Observatory (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com