Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Papers on buildings and grounds, 1855 - 1861

 File
Reference Code: GBR/0180/RGO 6/49

Scope and Contents

Notes and letters regarding the archaeology of the buildings and grounds of the Royal Observatory, 1859-1861.

Plan and letters regarding a corrugated iron partition in the East Building, 1855.

Diagram and letter regarding the porches of the Royal Observatory, 1855.

Correspondence concerning Mr Morley's tender for painting the Royal Observatory, 1856.

Plans for the building carrying the new South East Dome of the Royal Observatory, 1856.

Specifications for the building carrying the new South East Dome, 1856.

Specification for the building carrying the new South East Dome, including Airy's pricing for estimate, 1857.

Correspondence with the Woolwich Dock Yard about the springing of the boards for the South East Dome, 1856.

Correspondence concerning the grant for the building to carry the new South East Dome, 1857.

Miscellaneous papers about the South East Dome, 1856-1859, including eight photographs taken during its construction in October and November 1856 and May and October 1857.

Letters concerning the proposed new buildings on the 'Magnetic Ground', 1861.

Correspondence regarding defects in the buildings, 1855-1860.

Note on a fire alarm at the Magnetic Observatory and a note about the damp in some rooms, 1856-1861.

Letters of inquiry from the Revd Hughes concerning the Gill Stone, Greenwich Hospital and the domes; a letter from U.J.J. Le Verrier regarding the current expense of the Altazimuth Dome; and a letter from the London Institution about the manuscript shelves in the Royal Observatory. The letters date from 1855 to 1857.

Letters arranging for the locking up of the Magnetic Observatory and the gate on the Magnetic Passage and regarding latch keys for the porter's gate, 1857-1861.

Instructions to Mr Sly for drawing a new map and miscellaneous papers about maps, 1855-1861, including a plan of the Gardener's Yard, a plan of the transit circle pit and some measures of elevations.

Letters concerning the mound over the ice-house belonging to the Ranger's House, 1860-1861.

Letters concerning the ambulatory pulpit, 1860.

Notes and letters regarding the keys of Greenwich Park, 1856-1861.

Correspondence, 1856-1860, concerning regulations for closing the Park gates and bells at the gates, complaints of Mr Jordan, opening the gates to workmen and special openings of the gates.

Correspondence regarding Blackheath Avenue and Blackheath gates, 1855-1856.

Letters concerning the removal of the railings from the Lower Great Avenue of Greenwich Park, 1858.

General correspondence on Greenwich Park, 1856-1861, regarding the cutting and trimming of trees, the zigzag path, the exercising of troops, etc.

Correspondence on a proposed railway through the Park, 1858-1860, with official correspondence and a road map of Greenwich, Blackheath and Lewisham.

Correspondence with the Post Office authorities on colonial postage, 1855-1856.

Correspondence with the Post Office relating to an overcharge on a packet to P.A. Hansen, 1857.

Correspondence with Mr Talinage on the delay of a letter, 1857.

Miscellaneous correspondence with the Post Office, 1856-1860, including two pamphlets on letter deliveries.

Miscellaneous correspondence with Greenwich Post Office, 1856-1860.

Correspondence with Greenwich Police, 1855-1861.

Arrangements for M. Sheeky, the porter, concerning Greenwich Hospital Regulations, 1860.

A rubbing of Edmond Halley's tombstone.

Correspondence on the formation of a committee for relieving the Greenwich Institution from debt, 1858.

Letters concerning a proposed Kent Archaeological Association and a printed pamphlet on the same, 1855.

































































Dates

  • 1855 - 1861

Conditions Governing Access

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

Extent

1 volume(s) (1 volume)

Language of Materials

English

Former / Other Reference

M4/6

Finding aid date

2006-01-03 10:55:54+00:00

Includes index.

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Contact:
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom


The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.