Papers on buildings and grounds, 1849 - 1854
Scope and Contents
Notes and letters regarding the archaeology of the buildings and grounds of the Royal Observatory, 1849.
Letter concerning H. Lloyd's levelling to the standard plate in the Old Transit Room, 1849.
Letters concerning money grants for the Record Room, 1853.
Correspondence concerning the erection of New Record Rooms, 1853-1854.
Correspondence concerning small damages made to the buildings of the Royal Observatory, 1849-1854.
Letters concerning small alterations to the Second Assistant's room, 1850-1853.
Application from J. Glaisher for ventilation of the Magnetic anteroom, 1850.
Reports concerning small wants in the buildings, 1850-1854.
Letter from J. Henry about his visitors and arrangements at the entrance door, 1850.
Letters concerning the entrance door of the Front Court being left open, 1854.
Correspondence concerning the fire in the Magnetic Observatory of 23 April 1853.
Letter of application to the Office of Woods and Works for a copy of a document which granted a portion of Greenwich Park to the Royal Observatory, 1854, with an enclosed note referring the document to RGO 6/44.
Letters regarding the laying of gas pipes, 1849.
Letters regarding the laying of water pipes, 1849.
Correspondence regarding new paths through the Park, 1852-1853.
Plans of the Dwelling House and of the covered passage proposed to be constructed from the House to the Royal Observatory, dated 13 August 1838.
Plans of the Royal Observatory referring to alterations of the Computing Room and the room above it, 1842.
A note relating to the positioning of altazimuth with regard to the transit instrument.
Notes and figures concerning the Meridian Line for the transit circle, 1849.
Inquiry to G. Fisher as to whether the Hospital School's pupils can survey the Royal Observatory buildings and make a new set of plans, 1850.
Letters concerning W. Mason's print of the Royal Observatory, 1850.
Measurements by Mr Green of the Octagon Room leads, of the Store Room and of the Drawing Room window with the corresponding diagrams.
Mr Green's plan of the pipes at the entrance gate, 1850.
E. Dunkin's description and map of the course of the pipes and wires at the Royal Observatory, 23 April 1852.
Instructions to T. Henderson for altering the maps of the Royal Observatory, 1853.
List of gas main taps, 1853.
Map of the water pipe, gas pipe and galvanic wires in the Park on a plan of the Royal Park of Greenwich dated 1850. There is no indication of when the pipes and wires were added.
Correspondence concerning the Park, including plans and sections, 1852-1853.
Correspondence concerning the railway line through Greenwich Park proposed by Airy, 1853, including a street map of Greenwich.
Miscellaneous correspondence on Greenwich Park, 1849-1854, concerning the cutting down of old trees, the repair of pavements at the Park gates, the iron gates for Blackheath Avenue and the keys for the Park gates.
Correspondence with the Post Office, 1850-1854, including a public notice, concerning the sending of money through the post.
Correspondence with the Greenwich Police, 1849.
Printed letter concerning the drainage of the Thames marshes, 1853.
- 1849 - 1854
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date