Appointments of the Astronomers Royal, 1713 - 1762
Scope and Contents
Various letters and copies of the royal appointments of the Astronomers Royal.
1. Letter from the Royal Society, 5 March 1713, requesting the 1712 observations.
2. A copy of the official royal appointment of Nevil Maskelyne as Astronomer Royal, with the signature of the Earl of Sandwich.
3. A copy of the official royal appointment of James Bradley as Astronomer Royal, with the signature of Holles Newcastle.
4. A copy of the royal warrant for employment and payment of a salary of £100 per annum to John Flamsteed, 4 March 1675, with the signature of J. Williamson.
5. A copy of the official royal appointment of Edmond Halley as Astronomer Royal, 9 February 1720, with the signature of the Earl of Stanhope.
6. A copy of a notice by H. St John, Whitehall, 12 December 1710, to purchase and improve the instruments at the Observatory.
7. A copy of a letter from H. St John, Whitehall, 12 December 1710, setting out conditions for the Astronomer Royal to adhere to and giving notice to repair or replace defective equipment.
8. A copy of a warrant awarding a salary of £250 per annum to James Bradley, 15 February 1752, ratified for Nathaniel Bliss, 13 July 1762. The warrant is signed by H. Pelham, J. Campbell, G. Greenville and G. Lyttelton.
- 1713 - 1762
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Finding aid date
- From the Series: Maskelyne, Nevil, 1732 - 1811 (astronomer and mathematician) (Person)