RGO and Herstmonceux Castle Estate: papers and records, 1800 - 2001
Scope and Contents
This class contains records for the history of Herstmonceux Castle, both before and during the time the RGO was based at the site. Series 1-4 consist of paper records; series 5-7 of drawings, photographs, postcards and slides.
Series 1 comprises historical items relating to the history of the castle before the RGO, ranging from a framed laundry bill from c.1800, to historical notes on the history of Herstmonceux Castle with pedigrees for the Fiennes family.
Series 2 contains public information or publicity from the time of the RGO at Herstmonceux. These include booklets, brochures, public information sheets, and news or magazine articles on Herstmonceux Castle, RGO Herstmonceux and the Science Centre.
Series 3 comprises records for facilities and estate management at RGO Herstmonceux, including records of leases and RGO farm tenancies, records of castle painting, repair and general maintenance, and forestry records for the estate.
Series 4 comprises documents concerning the sale of Herstmonceux Castle, first in 1929 and later in 1990. It includes sale catalogues, press cuttings and notices for the 1990 sale.
Series 5 is a notable volume of early drawings of the castle, which appear to have been copied c.1818-1831 from originals by James Lambert of Lewes.
Series 6-7 comprise an extensive collection of photographs, postcards and slides of Herstmonceux Castle, grounds and instruments etc. Of particular note are the early photographs of the castle before its restoration, in the albums at RGO 109/6/1-2. These include photographs from c.1890-1910 taken by Francis Frith. Also notable are the early photographs, postcards and collection of colour cigarette card views from 1938/9 at RGO 109/6/3. Together, these provide an important visual record for the architectural history of the castle.
Dates
- Creation: 1800 - 2001
Creator
- From the Management Group: Royal Greenwich Observatory (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex, was home to the Royal Greenwich Observatory from 1957 until 1990, when it was again moved to Cambridge until its closure in 1998.
The castle was built in the 1440s by Sir Roger Fiennes, Treasurer of the Household of Henry VI of England, on the site of his manor house, with construction completed by his son, Lord Dacre. It is considered one of the finest early brick buildings in England, built with local labour and the help of craftsmen from the Low Countries. The castle remained in the hands of the Fiennes family until 1708 when it was bought by George Naylor, a lawyer of Lincoln's Inn. Following his death in 1730, it passed through the hands of various successors. Naylor's half-brother, Robert Hare, demolished the interior, which had fallen into disrepair, in 1776, effectively turning the castle into a picturesque ruin. It lay in an abandoned state until 1913 when a major reconstruction was begun by Lieutenant-Colonel Claude Lowther, based on plans drawn up by architect, Walter Godfrey.
Most of the outer walls, along with the north and south gatehouses and walled gardens had remained intact, so Lowther rebuilt the impressive south range, and retained the exterior style of the original building, with the major change of incorporating the four original internal courtyards into one. The existing interiors largely date to this period, including much of the interior panelling and woodwork. The restoration work was completed, by the next owner, Sir Paul Latham, in 1933. Latham installed the magnificent carved library staircase and doors, which were acquired from Wheatley Hall, Doncaster, and also re-flooded the moat for the first time since 1570.
In 1946, the Admiralty bought the site and grounds of Herstmonceux Castle as the new location for the Royal Observatory. The Observatory had been housed at Greenwich since 1675, but by the mid-20th century, light pollution in London had necessitated the move. Following the move, which was completed c.1957, the newly located Observatory was henceforth known as the Royal Greenwich Observatory (RGO), to distinguish itself from its earlier incarnation and from the site itself in Greenwich Park, now a museum and properly referred to as the Royal Observatory, Greenwich.
During the time of the RGO, various buildings were added to the castle grounds to facilitate the work of the Observatory, including the Solar Dome, West Building, and the Equatorial Group of Telescopes. In 1988-1990, the Observatory moved again to Cambridge, following a decision of the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council (PPARC, later SERC). The site at Herstmonceux was sold in May 1989 and closed in 1990. The Castle and estate was later bought in 1993 by Queen's University, Ontario. The Equatorial Group of Telescopes is currently under the care of the Observatory Science Centre, and can be visited by the public, along with the castle grounds and gardens.
Extent
4 archive box(es) : paper; glass framed item; photographs; slides
2 album(s) : photographs
5 folder(s) (outsized folders) : paper
Language of Materials
English
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Internally and externally generated papers.
General
Catalogued by Dr Emma Saunders, November 2025.
Finding aid date
2019-10-08 14:16:14+00:00
Repository Details
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: maps@lib.cam.ac.uk
all other enquiries: specialcollections@lib.cam.ac.uk