Papers of William Ellis, 1856 - 1916
Scope and Contents
RGO 54 contains correspondence, notes, and printed articles and lectures by Ellis, with a few other printed items and Ellis's tin box.
- 1856 - 1916
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
William Ellis (1828-1916) was born at Greenwich on 20 February 1828. He joined the Royal Observatory in 1841, where he was employed on reducing lunar observations before switching to observational work. After working as Observer at the University Observatory, Durham, 1852-1853, he returned to the Royal Observatory as a permanent member of staff. He took charge of the Chronometric and Galvanic Department in 1856, and became Superintendent of the Magnetical and Meteorological Department in 1875. He retired in 1893, and died on 13 December 1916.
2 archive box(es) (2 boxes) : paper
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
A handlist is kept in the Manuscripts Reading Room.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were collected or compiled by Ellis and transferred subsequently to the R.G.O. Archives.
This description was created by Robert Steiner, Department of Manuscripts and University Archives. The biographical history was compiled with reference to the entry on William Ellis in 'Who Was Who', Vol. II, 1916-1928 (London, 1967), pp. 327-328.
Finding aid date
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com