Skip to main content

Cambridge Institute of Education records, 1927 - 1996

 Sub-Fonds
Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/EDUC 37

Dates

  • Creation: 1927 - 1996

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Institute was inaugurated in 1949, as a result of the McNair Committee Report to government, published 1944, which suggested changes to teacher training. By 1949, there were already 13 such institutes in existence, some integral parts of universities, others simply closely linked. The Cambridge institute followed the latter model; scrutinising and approving courses of study and setting examinations for each of its constituent teacher training institutions in Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Isle of Ely, Norfolk and Suffolk. It also organised courses of lectures for the continuing education of working teachers. In 1992, it was incorporated into the University. Its original accommodation was at 2 Brookside, and, from 1955, also at 8 Brookside. In 1964, it moved into new premises on Shaftesbury Road. In 2004, it relocated to the new School of Education building on a site next to Homerton College, Hills Road.

Extent

4.5 linear metre(s) (4.5 metres) : paper

Language of Materials

English

Date information

DateText: bulk 1949-96.

Originator(s)

Cambridge Institute of Education

Finding aid date

2006-03-24 11:55:29+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Contact:
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom