Archives of the Wellingborough University Extension Society, 1893 - 1974
Scope and Contents
The records of the Wellingborough University Extension Society cover the organisation and management of the society, its membership, financial affairs and running of its courses.
- 1893 - 1974
Conditions Governing Access
Personal records are closed to scholars for 80 years from the date of creation under data protection legislation.
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to publish text should be addressed to the Keeper of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, photographs to the Head of the Digital Content Unit. Both at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR.
Biographical / Historical
An off-shoot of Cambridge University Board of Extra-Mural Studies, the Society was established in or around 1925, when a continuous series of courses began. Responsibility for University extension in Northamptonshire was transferred to Leicester University in 1962. The Society dissolved in 1972.
6 archive box(es) : paper
1 rolled item(s)
Language of Materials
Sections 1-7 contain the Society's own records; section 8 contains the records of the Cambridge Local Centres Union meetings; sections 9-10 contain Miss Platt's own papers.
Other Finding Aids
The original paper catalogue was prepared by Edwin Welch in June 1977. It was converted to digital form in 2000. A detailed paper list is available for consultation in the Reading Room of the Department of Manuscripts and University Archives (ref.: UA In.20).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The archives were in the possession of the last secretary, Miss Alvies M. Platt, until her death in 1976 when they were given to the University Archives.
A large number of duplicates and an incomplete set of reports of the Board of Extra-Mural Studies were transferred to the Northamptonshire Records Office, 1977.
This online catalogue was completed in 2002.
DateText: bulk 1937-74.
Wellingborough University Extension Society
Finding aid date