Records of the Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board, 1873 - 1995
Scope and Contents
The records of the Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board comprise the surviving records of the Cambridge side of operations, together with extensive runs of printed examination papers and reports.
- 1873 - 1995
- Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The Board was established in 1873 on the initiative of the Schools Examination Syndicate in Cambridge and the Delegacy for the Inspection and Examination of Schools in Oxford. It set a variety of school examinations from the 1880s onwards, including Higher, Lower and School Certificates and, from 1951, the GCE O' and A' Levels. In Cambridge, the Board was administered from the College of its secretary, the principal administrator, until 1914 when it moved into premises at 61a St Andrew's Street. In 1934, it moved to 62 Sidney Street. In 1937, it moved to Brook House, Trumpington Street. The Board was abolished in 1995 when the majority of its functions were taken over the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (from 2005, known as Cambridge Assessment). For background information, see G.M.D. Howat, Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board (Oxford: Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board, 1974). A copy is in the Rare Books Department of the University Library, classmark Cam.b.974.12.
12 linear metre(s) : paper
Language of Materials
OCEX 7-9, 20, 24-9, 38-9, 44: numbers not used.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were transferred from the Board in 1995 and the Local Examinations Syndicate in 1997.
The online catalogue was completed in February 2006 and emended in May 2008.
Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board
Finding aid date