Archives of the Molteno Institute of Biology and Parasitology, 1908 - 1987
Scope and Contents
The surviving archives are few, providing mainly summary details of the building at its opening and its research activity.
- 1908 - 1987
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The Molteno Institute, endowed by Percy Alport Molteno (1861-1937, Trinity College) and his wife, Elizabeth Martin Molteno, to provide modern, spacious accommodation for the work of the Quick Laboratory, opened in a new building on the Downing Site in November 1921. The Quick Professor of Biology was its Director, responsible directly to the General Board of the Faculties and the Financial Board for its management. First known as the Molteno Institute for Research in Parasitology, its name changed in 1934 to the Molteno Institute of Biology and Parasitology. In 1987, it became part of the Department of Pathology. For further background information, see http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~schisto/History/Molteno.html
1 archive box(es) : paper; waxed linen; photograph
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The archives were transferred to the University Archives in 1999.
The online catalogue was completed in December 2004 and emended in January and February 2005.
Molteno Institute of Biology and Parasitology
Finding aid date