Copies of Liber privilegiorum et libertatum alme universitatis Cantebrigiensis, 1587 - 1875
Scope and Contents
The Liber comprises copies by a professional scribe of transcripts by Hare of royal charters, letters patent and other documents granting and confirming the University's privileges, partly from the University's records, but chiefly from those of central government in the Tower. The documents are arranged by reign, King Arthur to Queen Elizabeth. Notes by Registrary Romilly, Vice-Chancellors Ashton and Parris and pasted-in lists of various kinds attempt to deal with the fact that both the contents and the deployment of the contents varies from set to set. Comparison suggests that A, the fine presentation copy, is derived from B, while C contains the fruit of further labour, but C is a fairer copy than B. It is suggested that there might have been a set D which was Hare's working copy from which A, B and C were taken with due exercise of selection, carelessness or conceivably censorship.
- 1587 - 1875
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
Robert Hare (ca 1530-1611), antiquary, matriculated Fellow-Commoner from Gonville Hall in 1545, but left Cambridge without taking a degree and entered the Inner Temple. From 1560-71, he was Clerk of the Pells: an office of government with shared oversight of the Exchequer of Receipt. The remainder of his life was spent in antiquarian pursuits.
9 volume(s) : vellum and paper
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The volumes were presented to the University by Hare in 1590.
Finding aid date