Archives of the Audio-Visual Aids Unit, 1959 - 1997
Scope and Contents
The records mainly document the work carried out by the Unit for the University and Colleges.
- 1959 - 1997
- University of Cambridge. Audio-Visual Aids Unit (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
In 1967, an Audio-Visual Aids Committee was formed under the aegis of the General Board to carry out a survey of facilities in University departments. Over the next five years, it appointed a small number of technicians, based in the Engineering Department, to assist in audio-visual operations, with A.M.P. Brookes, Lecturer in the Engineering Department, as its Head. Its growing Photography outfit was housed in the Old Examinations Hall, Free School Lane from 1974. In 1975, the rest of the operation joined Photography and the Unit was established as an independent University institution reporting to the General Board, supervised by a Committee of Management. Martin Gienke was appointed the Unit's head in succession to Brookes in 1980. Throughout the 1970s-90s, work in support of teaching and learning ranged from the small-scale loan of equipment, advice on purchase and maintenance, to the production of videos and provision of training courses and play-back. The Unit was closed in December 1997. Its slide production and photographic development service was incorporated into the reprographic services of the Computing Service. Video-related services were taken up by CUMIS [Cambridge University Moving Image Studio], 1 Bene't Place, Lensfield Road, established in 1998 under the aegis of the Department of Architecture. CUMIS facilities included digital image and sound capture, and post-production for individuals and workshop groups of up to twelve participants. In [date? after 2004], these services were taken over by the Centre for Applied Research in Educational Technologies (CARET).
10 linear metre(s) : paper and photograph
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were transferred to the University Archives by Martin Geinke, Director, on the closure of the Unit in December 1997.
The online catalogue was completed in March 2006.
Audio-Visual Aids Unit
Finding aid date