Miscellaneous letters, 1900-1911
Scope and Contents
Miscellaneous correspondence (including press copies) of Jardine, Matheson & Co. sent from Hong Kong, London, New York, St Petersburg, Shanghai, Tientsin and Vladivostock, divided into five sections:
1. Correspondence regarding the Boxer Rebellion, July 1900. The correspondents include A.M. Bruce, I.C. Railways; W. Carles, H.B.M. Consul, Tientsin; Edward Cousins; Jardine Matheson, Shanghai and Tientsin; William Keswick; A.P. MacEwen; and C.H. Ross.
2. Correspondence regarding personal matters, 1905 and 1909-1910. The correspondents include W.J. Gresson, Sir R.W.B. Jardine, Henry Keswick, William Keswick and James Whishaw.
3. Letters from or concerning Vladivostock, with related documents, 1907-1910. The correspondents include the Construction Department of Vladivostock; H.K. Henson; Arthur G. Marshall; Jardine Matheson, Shanghai; William Keswick; David Landale; the Mayor of Vladivostock; and C. Wedermeyer.
4. Sundry correspondence and related documents, 1900-1911, including correspondence with Harris Bros & Co. regarding the carriage of grain via Russia. The correspondents include Harris Bros & Co.; Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai; J.J. Keswick; William Keswick; James MacKie; C.H. Ross; and James Whishaw.
5. Letters from New York, 1909-1910: letters from Henry Keswick and A.D. Walker, New York, to William Keswick, London, and Jardine Matheson, Shanghai.
The letters were originally in an envelope labelled 'Various letters 1900-1910 (parcelled by Mr Beith) Wm Keswick J.J. Keswick Gresson, etc' (the label has been retained).
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 envelope(s) (1 envelope)
Language of Materials
- Gresson, William Jardine, 1869-1934 (businessman)
- Jardine, Sir Robert William Buchanan, 1868-1927 (2nd Baronet)
- Keswick, Henry, 1870-1928 (businessman)
- Keswick, James Johnstone, 1845-1914 (merchant)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- MacEwen, Alexander Palmer, 1846-1919 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)