Correspondence on shipping, 1894-1953 (mostly 1894-1896 and 1908-1911)
Scope and Contents
Typescript and manuscript correspondence (including copies) and related documents regarding shipping, 1894-1939, including many items concerning the Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. The correspondents include C.E. Anton; J.J. Bell-Irving; Butterfield & Swire; A. Cheyne; C.W. Dickson; W.J. Gresson; H.V. Henson; Jardine Matheson, Shanghai; John Johnstone; William Keswick; David Landale; C.H. Ross; Spicer & Pegler; and J.S. Swire. There is also a letter from J.J. Paterson, Calcutta, to B.D.F. Beith, London, 8 October 1953, regarding family connections of Jardine, Matheson & Co.
- 1894-1953 (mostly 1894-1896 and 1908-1911)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 folder(s) (1 folder)
Language of Materials
- Butterfield and Swire
- Dickson, Charles Wedderburn, 1863-1934 (merchant)
- Gresson, William Jardine, 1869-1934 (businessman)
- Indo-China Steam Navigation Co Ltd
- Irving, James Jardine Bell-, 1857-1936 (businessman)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)