Correspondence re New Guinea, 24 Nov. 1955-24 Dec. 1957
Scope and Contents
Correspondence regarding Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd's investment in the New Guinea company of Robert Gillespie Pty Ltd of Sydney during the 1950s. The venture was not a success, and the company withdrew in 1958. The ring-binder is divided into four sections:
1. To & From London: correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, regarding Robert Gillespie (New Guinea) Ltd, 6 September-24 December 1957, with a proposed programme for the visit of L.C. Catlin to New Guinea, 12 December 1957.
2. To & From L.G. Frost: correspondence and some telegrams exchanged between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and L.G. Frost (the firm's Resident Representative in Australasia), Barwon Heads, Victoria, regarding Robert Gillespie (New Guinea) Ltd, 3 September-14 November 1957. There are also two telegrams exchanged between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and L.G. Frost, Lae, both 20 March 1956, and an extract from semi-official letter no. 7 from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to Sydney, 10 July 1957.
3. To R. Gillespie: letters and some telegrams from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to Robert Gillespie, Robert Gillespie Pty Ltd, Sydney, N.S.W., with related papers, 3 February 1956-24 December 1957.
4. From R. Gillespie: letters and some telegrams from Robert Gillespie, Robert Gillespie Pty Ltd, Sydney, N.S.W., to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, with related letters and papers, including balance sheets and accounts, monthly statistics, and minutes of meetings of the Board of Directors of Robert Gillespie (New Guinea) Ltd, 24 November 1955-23 December 1957.
Various notes and other information regarding L.G. Frost, Robert Gillespie Pty Ltd and Robert Gillespie (New Guinea) Ltd are attached to the inside cover of the ring-binder. At the front of the file is a note to A.D. Angus regarding the results of Robert Gillespie (New Guinea) Ltd, 10 July 1957, and a notice of the change of address of Robert Gillespie Pty Ltd, Sydney, from 22 July 1957, which were originally loose inside.
The ring-binder is labelled '1956/1957 Semi-official New Guinea : R. Gillespie' and numbered 6.
- 24 Nov. 1955-24 Dec. 1957
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials