Private and confidential correspondence between Hong Kong and Tokyo, 1949-1954
Scope and Contents
Private and confidential correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Tokyo. There are also telegrams exchanged between Hong Kong and Tokyo; private and confidential correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Tokyo, and Jardine Matheson, Kobe; and other related papers. The correspondents are I.F. Aucott, R. Gordon, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, D.F. Landale, G.L. Marshall, F.A. Pollock, M.L. Railton, E.F. Watts and A.R.J. White.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
5 volume(s) (5 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
Existence and Location of Copies
J4/24 contains the London copies of the letters from Hong Kong to Tokyo; J4/35 contains the London copies of all the numbered letters from Tokyo to Hong Kong.
- Aucott, Ian Frank, 1916-1991 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Marshall, George Lawrence, 1911-1965 (accountant)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Railton, Manning Leonard, 1895-1962 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)
- White, Alexander Robert James, b 1907 (businessman)