Private and confidential correspondence between Hong Kong and London, 1945-1959
Scope and Contents
Private and confidential correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, with related letters and papers. The letters from Hong Kong to London are copies; the letters from London to Hong Kong are originals. There are also some copies of telegrams exchanged between Hong Kong and London. The correspondents are H.D.M. Barton, D.C. Geddes, R. Gordon, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, D.F. Landale, J.F. Owen, J.J. Paterson, F.A. Pollock, W.E.D. Smith and E.F. Watts.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
8 volume(s) (8 volumes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
J4/17 contains the originals of the private and confidential letters from Hong Kong to London of 1945-1955.
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Geddes, David Campbell, 1917-1995 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Owen, John Featherstone, b 1889 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Smith, William Elder Drummond, 1892-1957 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)