Semi-official and private and confidential correspondence between Hankow, Hong Kong, London and Shanghai, 11 Feb. 1938-29 Dec. 1938
Scope and Contents
Correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hankow, Hong Kong and Shanghai, and Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, divided into three sections:
1. Copies of semi-official correspondence regarding East Africa: nos 1-2 from E.W. Bovill, London, to J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 1 November-5 December 1938, and 1-3 from Paterson to Bovill, 21 November-29 December 1938. Paterson's third letter encloses a copy of a letter sent by him to J.A.R. King, Jardine, Matheson & Co. (East Africa) Ltd, Dar Es Salaam, 29 December 1938.
2. A copy of P. & C. letter S. 7. from D.G.M. Bernard, London, to J.H. Keswick, Shanghai, 11 February 1938, regarding 'Barter : Arms: & Heavy Industries'.
3. Original P. & C. letters nos 1-4 from W.S. Dupree, Hankow, to J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 14-26 March 1938, and copies of nos 1-11 from Paterson to Dupree, 4 March-29 July 1938, with enclosed letters and papers.
The correspondence is preceded by an index containing the following entries:
A: Aircraft (China) Ltd; Armaments - Aeroplanes.
C: China Merchants Steam Navigation Co.; Castlemilk.
I: Indo-China - Kiawo.
S: Summers; T.V. Soong.
- 11 Feb. 1938-29 Dec. 1938
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Fair condition, but some damage by insects.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J33
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com