Letters to local correspondents, 1847-1872
Scope and Contents
Copies (mostly press copies) of letters from Hong Kong to partners and employees of Jardine, Matheson & Co. and other correspondents at Canton, Hong Kong and Macao, with odd letters to other places. The authors are J.C. Bowring, Joseph Jardine, Robert Jardine, William Keswick, James Macandrew, A.C. Maclean, Herbert Magniac, Donald Matheson, Alexander Perceval and James Whittall.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
2 archive box(es) (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Bowring, John Charles, 1821-1893 (merchant)
- Jardine, Joseph, 1822-1861 (merchant)
- Jardine, Sir Robert, 1825-1905 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Macandrew, James, 1825-1902 (merchant)
- Magniac, Herbert St Leger, 1830-1879 (merchant)
- Matheson, Donald, 1819-1901 (merchant)
- Perceval, Alexander, 1821-1866 (merchant)
- Whittall, James, 1827-1893 (merchant)