Notebook entitled 'Transcriptions from Diaries...', Apr. 1929-May 1931 (1929-1931 transcript of 1923-1925 originals)
Scope and Contents
The volume comprises Sassoon's own transcriptions of his diaries for March-November 1925 (folios /2v-23r) and 8 March 1923 - 19 May 1924 (folios /24r-29r); abridged, with occasional annotations. Entries are arranged in two columns, numbered consecutively. The transcripts for 15-19 May 1924 (folio /58r) match those in Sassoon's diary at MS.Add.9852/1/20; there are no other corresponding diaries in the archive. The 1925 diary includes: /2v. passages on Sassoon's travels abroad with Frankie Schuster, with entries written at Cannes and Avignon; /3r. a visit to Pentonville prison; /4r, 5r, 11r-13r. visits to the Hut, Bray (home of the Schusters); /4r. to Hill Hall, Theydon Mount; /8r. to Robert and Nancy Graves; /18r. to the Hardys at Max Gate; and /21r. to E.M. Forster; also /7r-8r. passages on poet Robert Bridges 'R.B'; and many entries written while lodging at 54 Tufton Street, London. The 1923-1924 diaries include: /24r-26r. visits to Norman Loder at Cicely House, Cirencester; /26r-27r. to Lady Ottoline Morrell at Garsington; /28r. an entry on the printing of 'Recreations'; /31r. visits to Cambridge, /33r. to Hamo Thornycroft, /33r-34r. to E.M. Forster, /35r-36r. and to his mother at Weirleigh; /35r. a trip to Came Rectory with Edmund Blunden; /41r. visits from T.E. Lawrence and /42r. Ralph Hodgson; passages on /43r. meeting Virginia and Leonard Woolfe, /48r. on Blunden leaving for Japan, and /48r-56r. on a trip to southern France and the Mediterranean with Frankie Schuster and Anzie Wylde; and /56r-58r. 'Rough Notes on the Dean of Windsor'. The volume also includes: - quotations from the following: Thomas Hardy, begins 'Undigested impressions have their value'; Sir John Davies, begins 'We seek to know the moving of each sphere'; Mr Jorrocks, begins 'Believe me I'm so chock-full o' knowledge': /1v. N.B. Four enclosures are to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- Apr. 1929-May 1931 (1929-1931 transcript of 1923-1925 originals)
Conditions Governing Access
Fragile, handle with care.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (4to, linen-covered boards, 58 ff.) & 4 enclosures)
1 collection (1 volume (4to, linen-covered boards, 58 ff.) & 4 enclosures)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
front cover is loose; adhesive damage.
- Hardy, Robert Gathorne-, 1902-1973 (writer and known as Bob)
- Hodgson, Ralph, 1871-1962 (poet)
- Lawrence, Thomas Edward, 1888-1935 (intelligence officer and author)
- Morrell, Lady Ottoline Violet Anne, 1873-1938 (née Cavendish-Bentinck, hostess and literary patron)
- Schuster, Leo Frank, 1852-1927 (patron of the arts)
- Shaw, Glencairn Alexander Byam, 1904-1986 (actor and stage director)
- Wells, Herbert George, 1866-1946 (novelist)
- Wylde, Leslie, d 1935 (friend of Frankie Schuster, known as Anzie)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)