Journal, 4 Aug. 1940-22 June 1943 (with annotations from 1967)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook and mostly comprises diary entries. There is a watercolour frontispiece (p. 1c) composed of blocks of colour and floral scrolls arranged around two faces within octagons. The faces are labelled '8 a.m.' and '8 pm.' and the latter is a clear self-portrait by Sassoon. The piece is inscribed 'La belle, la - something, something, something - aujourd'hui'.
The volume also includes:
- poetry: p. 1d. Draft of 'Jesus in 1941'; p. 62. fair copy of 'Deus ex Machina', begins 'What car is this that's coming up the drive?' (concerning his need for time away from Hester).
- abstract watercolour blocks of purple, yellow green and red annotated 'painting helps to sooth the mind': p. 85.
- list of social engagements and locations of nights spent away from home annotated with comments re Hester [in 1967]: p. 1e.
- pasted in press cuttings: p. 49. re the publication of 'Rhymed ruminations'; p. 190. re the Germans banning the inclusion of books by George Bernard Shaw and Sassoon in sets of books sent to British prisoners of war.
N.B. Enclosures are to be found in a separate envelope. The pagination is original; pagination in square brackets is the archivist's.
- 4 Aug. 1940-22 June 1943 (with annotations from 1967)
Conditions Governing Access
The First World War journals and some post-war journals (MSS Add.9852/1/4-25 and 32) are unavailable for consultation due to their poor physical condition. Digital copies of these items are provided in the Sassoon Journals section of the Cambridge Digital Library, https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/collections/sassoon/1. The other journals are available for consultation.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (cloth-backed blue boards, 107 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (cloth-backed blue boards, 107 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)