Journal, 5 Oct. 1929-22 July 1930 (with some later annotation in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook marked '1929.II.1930.I' and mostly comprises diary entries and reflective passages.
It also includes:
- notes on the reception of Robert Graves's 'Goodbye to all that': /128v-129r.
- notes on a visit to Max Gate and a conversation while at tea and lunch with W.B. Yeats: /133r-136v.
- a note of the sales figures for 'Memoirs': /2v.
- 'list of things to be done in the first four weeks after my return [from Italy]': /89r.
- drafts of poetry: /126v. Untitled, begins 'Memoirs continued, first perused by Max'; /127r. 'Enjoying the life of Cowper'; /127v-128. Untitled, begins 'Do I misread'; /127v. 'Keeping the Game Alive'; /136r. 'On an Editor who has shaved off his moustache on retirement from office'; /136r. 'A Scotch Cameo', couplet.
- list of literary work completed: /2r.
- plans of rooms: /116r; /134r; 135r.
- copies of correspondence: /47r-49r. Copy of a letter from Sassoon to R[obert] Graves re exasperation caused by his book, inaccuracies therein, and his previous offensive behaviour, 6 February 1930; /128r. Published letter from J.J. Astor to Sassoon re an imperial press conference, 6 February 1930.
- quotations of various writers on war and the post war situation: Thomas Hardy; Robert Bridges; Rudyard Kipling; John Galsworthy; George Bernard Shaw; Hall Caine; E. Gosse; Rothermere; Curzon of Kedleston; Cosmo [Gordon Lang]; Randall [Davidson]; H.H. Asquith; Grey of Fallodon: /124v-126r.
- acquaintances' contact details: /2v.
- list of monies spent: /82r.
- list of locations of nights spent away from home: /1v.
- list of books taken away, including a list of some read by Stephen Tennant: /132v.
- pasted in press cuttings: /1r. Announcement of the value of the estate of Ellen Gosse; /92v. Advertisement for a copy of 'A Shropshire Lad' which belonged to Robbie Ross; /94r. Arnold Bennett's review of Humbert Wolfe's 'The Uncelestial City'.
N.B. There are no loose enclosures or detached folios. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 5 Oct. 1929-22 July 1930 (with some later annotation in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Conditions Governing Access
The First World War journals and some post-war journals (MSS Add.9852/1/4-25 and 32) are unavailable for consultation due to their poor physical condition. Digital copies of these items are provided in the Sassoon Journals section of the Cambridge Digital Library, https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/collections/sassoon/1. The other journals are available for consultation.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (maroon cloth covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 136 ff.) paper) : paper
Language of Materials
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com