Journal, 30 June 1928-3 Apr. 1929 (first three days written retrospectively)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook marked '1928-II', mostly comprising diary entries.
It also includes:
- a note of the sales figures of 'Memoirs': /133r.
- 'Names from a hospital subscription list': /136v.
- prose passages: /129v-130v. 'Comic History of an Author'; /137v. Untitled, begins 'Sauntering in the sultry summer dusk'; /131v. 'A maxim learned from Hardy'.
- drafts of poetry: /132r-132v. 'A note of Interrogation'; /135r. 'Invitation of Elinor Wylie'; /138r. Untitled, begins 'And so no force however great'.
- sketches and doodles: /104r. Bells either side of the text 'Ring in the New', 31 December, 1928; /115v. A diamond pendant given to Stephan Tennant by Sassoon.
- quotations: /134v. Carlisle, 'For the monument of Rose. A favourite Spaniel'; /135r-138r. Reporting snippets of conversation; /138r. Epstein, 'dark red rose against bronze bust'.
- acquaintances' contact details: /2r.
- a list of monies spent or gifted: /133v-134r.
- a list of locations of nights spent away from home: /1v.
- pasted in photographs: /Front cover inside. Sassoon seated on a table with 'Nannie' seated in a wicker chair, and Stephan Tennant on a wicker sun lounger; both taken at Haus Hirth, 8 September 1928; /1r. Sassoon and Tennant in front of the Palace of Versailles, November 1928.
- pasted in press cuttings: /28v. 'Privileged Friendship' Viscount Grey re Lord Haldene; /85v-86r. 'Sudden Death of Viscountess Grey'; /124v. Announcement of the death of Frances Sarah Donaldson; /136v. Announcement of the death of Sextus Furlonger.
N.B. Enclosure is to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 30 June 1928-3 Apr. 1929 (first three days written retrospectively)
Conditions Governing Access
The First World War journals and some post-war journals (MSS Add.9852/1/4-25 and 32) are unavailable for consultation due to their poor physical condition. Digital copies of these items are provided in the Sassoon Journals section of the Cambridge Digital Library, https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/collections/sassoon/1. The other journals are available for consultation.
1 collection (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 138 ff.); 1 envelope paper; photograph)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
The binding is cracked. Edge tear on folio /113r (40mm).
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)