Journal, 11 Jan. 1928-28 June 1928
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook marked '1928-I' and mostly comprises diary entries. There are notes throughout on the progress of Sassoon's literary work (number of words written).
The volume also includes:
- drafts of poetry: /1v. Couplets on the subjects of poetry, writing novels and being an author; /133v. 'How A[rnold] B[ennett] reviewed a new volume of The Telephone Directory', later called 'The Paris Telephone Directory'.
- a list of literary work completed: /2r.
- copies of correspondence: /20v. From A.E. Housman to the Committee of the Royal Literary Fund in support of Edmund Blunden's application to the fund, 18 January 1928; /24v-25r. From H[enry] M[ajor] T[omlinson] to Sassoon re the funeral of Thomas Hardy and the upset caused by its organisation, January 1928.
- quotations: /1v. H.H. 'moving like someone who is afraid of spilling what he is carrying'; /1v. Nelly Burton, 'one vast substantial smile'; /1v. William Wordsworth, begins 'The common growth of mother earth'; /1v. Hooke, Knows and Cheetham, 'In Poetry 'a little message is a dangerous thing''; /109r. A verse for Sassoon written by Edmund Blunden, begins 'Dear Siegfried, while the busy crowd'.
- a list of locations of nights spent away from home: /1v-2r.
- pasted in press cuttings: /2v. 'The Rough and Smooth of Life'; /2v. 'The Heart of Reality'; /4r. Announcement of the death of Thomas Hardy; /13v. Re Thomas Hardy having poetry read to him on his death bed and patronage of younger poets; /50v. Re Humbert Wolfe's poems and a limited edition of 'A Heart's Desire'; /52v. Advertisement for the 'Annual Poetry Competition of the Empire Poetry League'; /58r. Listing for a radio broadcast of a concert conducted by William Walton; /76v. Image of Stephen Tennant at a pyjama party with other four other members of the 'Bright Young Things'; /90r. Head and shoulders image of Edmund Gosse.
- pasted in clipping from a bookseller's catalogue listing a work owned by Hardy as being inscribed to a contributor to Hardy's 80th birthday celebrations: /27v.
N.B. Enclosure and a detached folio are to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 11 Jan. 1928-28 June 1928
Conditions Governing Access
The First World War journals and some post-war journals (MSS Add.9852/1/4-25 and 32) are unavailable for consultation due to their poor physical condition. Digital copies of these items are provided in the Sassoon Journals section of the Cambridge Digital Library, https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/collections/sassoon/1. The other journals are available for consultation.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 134 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 134 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
The binding is cracked. Folios /128 and /129 have been partially cut away. The /128 fragment is missing; the /129 fragment extant.
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)