Journal, 29 Sep. 1927-7 Jan. 1928 (with inserted photographs dating 1926-1927)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook marked '1927-III' and mostly comprises diary entries (many concern Glen Byam Shaw and Stephen Tennant).
It also includes:
- prose passages: /27v-30r. 'A letter to Stephen which he will never read'; /74v-76r. 'An example of the way Stephen is discussed and interpreted by the 'Wilsford Party''; /106r-106v. 'Stephen's 'Nannie''.
- a list of number of words written: /2r.
- a list of persons 'Copies of Heart's Journey [sent] to': /2v.
- a list of monies spent, including Christmas presents: /2v.
- a list of social engagements and locations of nights spent away from home: /1v.
- pasted in photographs: /2r. Image of Stephen Tennant sitting on a rug with a parrot; /28v. Stephen Tennant holding his face between his hands; pasted over text obscured with ink; /74r. Stephen Tennant in shirt and tie with arms outstretched; /90r. Stephen Tennant with his bust by [Sir Jacob] Epstein; /104r. 'Stephen in his 8th year' in a dress with necklace, bracelets and head-ribbon; /109v. 'Stephen and his mother' seated on ?the deck of a ship; /110r. 'Rex Whistler, 'Nannie', and Stephen' (Switzerland, 1926) standing in snow in front of a building; /133v. View of the house at Wilsford; /134r. Image of Stephen Tennant sitting on cushions with a parrot on his shoulder.
- pasted in press cuttings: /Front cover inside. re bequests made by Leo Francis Howard Schuster; /77v. Advertisement for a production of 'And So To Bed'; /Back cover inside. 'Sir Francis Rose [and Gabriel Aitkin] in a car crash'.
N.B. Enclosures and a detached folio are to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 29 Sep. 1927-7 Jan. 1928 (with inserted photographs dating 1926-1927)
Conditions Governing Access
The First World War journals and some post-war journals (MSS Add.9852/1/4-25 and 32) are unavailable for consultation due to their poor physical condition. Digital copies of these items are provided in the Sassoon Journals section of the Cambridge Digital Library, https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/collections/sassoon/1. The other journals are available for consultation.
1 collection (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 134 ff.); 1 envelope paper; photograph)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
folio /7 is detached.
- Atkin, Gabriel, 1897-1937 (artist)
- Blunden, Edmund Charles, 1896-1974 (poet)
- Epstein, Sir Jacob, 1880-1959 (Knight, sculptor)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Shaw, Glencairn Alexander Byam, 1904-1986 (actor and stage director)
- Sitwell, Dame Edith Louisa, 1887-1964 (poet, critic and eccentric)
- Sitwell, Sir Francis Osbert Sacheverell, 1892-1969 (5th Baronet Sitwell and author)
- Tennant, Stephen James Napier, 1906-1987 (artist and poet)
- Whistler, Rex, 1905-1944 (artist and theatre designer)
- Wylde, Leslie, d 1935 (friend of Frankie Schuster, known as Anzie)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com