Journal, 12 Mar. 1927-28 Sep. 1927
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook marked '1927-II' and mostly comprises diary entries. These include passages on: /48r. meeting Stephen Tennant; /55r-56r, /59v-63r. Robert Graves; /69r-73v. meeting Ellen Terry; /81r-124r. Sassoon's trip to Belgium, France, Austria and Germany with Frankie Schuster, Glen Byam Shaw, John Philbin and Anzie Wylde, with reminiscences about the Great War; and passages relating to the Sitwells, Edmund Blunden, and Edmund Gosse, among others.
The journal also includes:
- drafts of poetry: /2v. 'A wolf was there', later called 'The Claimant'; /125v. untitled, begins 'Who shall remember gazing on this Gate'; /128r. untitled, begins 'Your mother sat and watched the sky strewn river'; /128v-129r. 'After a visit to de la Mare'; /129v. 'How shall a man keep faith with his own soul'.
- a quotation from Bacon, begins 'a mind fixed and bent upon somewhat that is good': /1v.
- a list of locations of nights spent away from home on short visits in England and a tour of Belgium, Germany, Austria and France: /1v-2r.
- a sketch of the Sitwells: /55r.
- acquaintances' contact details: /129r, /130r.
- a list of monies spent: /129v.
- a list of correspondence received: /130r.
- lists of distances between towns his European tour: /129v.
- pasted in press cuttings: /2r. announcement of the death of Rachel Beer; /124v. obituary for L[eo] F[rancis] [Howard] Schuster.
N.B. After folio /125v entries resume from the back of the notebook. Enclosures are to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 12 Mar. 1927-28 Sep. 1927
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook and its enclosures have been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00025/1. The original items are currently unavailable for consultation due to their poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 130 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 130 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
The front cover is cracked. Folios /24, /37-38, /57 & /126-127 have been partially cut or torn away.
- Beer, Rachel, 1858-1927 (newspaper proprietor and editor)
- Blunden, Edmund Charles, 1896-1974 (poet)
- Gosse, Sir Edmund William, 1849-1928 (Knight, writer)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Schuster, Leo Frank, 1852-1927 (patron of the arts)
- Shaw, Glencairn Alexander Byam, 1904-1986 (actor and stage director)
- Sitwell, Dame Edith Louisa, 1887-1964 (poet, critic and eccentric)
- Sitwell, Sir Francis Osbert Sacheverell, 1892-1969 (5th Baronet Sitwell and author)
- Tennant, Stephen James Napier, 1906-1987 (artist and poet)
- Terry, Dame Alice Ellen, 1847-1928 (actress)
- Wylde, Leslie, d 1935 (friend of Frankie Schuster, known as Anzie)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com