Journal, 10 June 1926-12 Dec. 1926 (with some later annotations and scoring out in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook marked '1926 II' and mostly comprises diary entries. There are notes throughout on the progress of Sassoon's literary work (number of words written).
Diary entries include passages on: /13v-14r, /116v-117r. Edith Sitwell and a feud with Noel Coward; /24r-25r. 'Little [Edmund] Blunden' and Glen [Byam Shaw]; /25v-54r. a visit to France, Switzerland and Italy with the Morrells; /55r, /56v-57r, /63v-64r, /70r. Robert Graves and his relationship with Laura [Riding]; and /112v-113r. concerning T.E.L. [T.E. Lawrence] and E.M. Forster.
The volume also includes:
- acquaintances' contact details: /1v, /2v.
- lists of monies spent and books taken away: /1v.
- a list of locations of nights spent away from home, largely in France and Italy: /2r.
- a sketch of a man's head: /2r.
- a prose passage entitled 'Conversation between O[sbert] S[itwell] and C[harles Kenneth] S[cott] M[oncrieff]': /6v-7r.
- pasted in items of ephemera: /13v. cloakroom ticket from a party at Lady Colefax's; /54v. clipping from a Heffer's of Cambridge bookseller's catalogue listing first edition copies of 'Picture Show'; /89r. reminder for a luncheon to be held by Osbert Sitwell; /98v. press cutting re an observation of Sassoon walking along the middle of the road, together with Sassoon's comments upon this.
- a stave of music, Beethoven: /107v.
N.B. There are no loose enclosures or detached folios. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 10 June 1926-12 Dec. 1926 (with some later annotations and scoring out in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook has been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00023/1. The original item is currently unavailable for consultation due to its poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 120 ff.) paper) : paper
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Both the covers are cracked. Folios /3-6, /8, /17, /23, /27-28a, /47, /62, /67-68, /69a-69b & /100 have been wholly or partially cut or torn away.
- Colefax, Lady Sibyl, 1874-1950 (society hostess)
- Coward, Sir Noel, 1899-1973 (Knight, playwright and composer)
- Forster, Edward Morgan, 1879-1970 (novelist and critic)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Lawrence, Thomas Edward, 1888-1935 (intelligence officer and author)
- Moncrieff, Charles Kenneth Michael Scott-, 1889-1930 (translator)
- Morrell, Lady Ottoline Violet Anne, 1873-1938 (née Cavendish-Bentinck, hostess and literary patron)
- Shaw, Glencairn Alexander Byam, 1904-1986 (actor and stage director)
- Sitwell, Dame Edith Louisa, 1887-1964 (poet, critic and eccentric)
- Sitwell, Sir Francis Osbert Sacheverell, 1892-1969 (5th Baronet Sitwell and author)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)