Journal, 9 Dec. 1925-9 June 1926 (with some later annotations and scoring out in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook marked '1925-III, 1926-I' and mostly comprises diary entries written while Sassoon was living at 23 Campden Hill Square, London.
Diary entries include passages on: /8r. a biography of Thomas Hardy; /10r-11r. the death and funeral of his uncle Hamo Thornycroft; /16r-16v, /117r. Robert Graves; /39v-41v. entries concerning his War experience; /48r-48v. on meeting Sean O'Casey; /51. Virginia Woolf; /77r-109r. on the coal miner's strike; and frequent mention of Edmund and Nellie Gosse, Ruth and Henry Head, Lady Desborough, Frankie Schuster, Gabriel Atkin and Glen Byam Shaw.
The volume also includes:
- a list of locations of nights spent away from home: /2r.
-a list of 'People who came to 23 Campden Hill Square': /2v.
- pasted in press cuttings: /45r. concerning the publication of Sassoon's recent poems; /76v. advertisement for 'Satirical Poems'.
- an extract from a letter from Lady Ottoline Morrell: /117v.
- a list of painters and selected paintings by them: /123r.
N.B. Detached folios are to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 9 Dec. 1925-9 June 1926 (with some later annotations and scoring out in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook has been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00022/1. The original item is currently unavailable for consultation due to its poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 124 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 124 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Both the covers are cracked. Folios /83-84 and /112-113 are detached and are stored in a separate file. Folios /14-15, /19, /25, /28, /33-34, /63, /74, /109 & /121 have been wholly or partially cut or torn away.
- Atkin, Gabriel, 1897-1937 (artist)
- Gosse, Sir Edmund William, 1849-1928 (Knight, writer)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Grenfell, Ethel Anne Priscilla, 1867-1952 (née Fane, wife of 1st Baron Desborough and known as 'Ettie')
- Morrell, Lady Ottoline Violet Anne, 1873-1938 (née Cavendish-Bentinck, hostess and literary patron)
- O'Casey, Sean, 1880-1964 (playwright and memoirist)
- Schuster, Leo Frank, 1852-1927 (patron of the arts)
- Shaw, Glencairn Alexander Byam, 1904-1986 (actor and stage director)
- Sitwell, Sir Francis Osbert Sacheverell, 1892-1969 (5th Baronet Sitwell and author)
- Sitwell, Sir Sacheverell, 1897-1988 (6th Baronet Sitwell, poet and art critic)
- Thornycroft, Sir William Hamo, 1850-1925 (Knight, sculptor)
- Woolf, Adeline Virginia, 1882-1941 (novelist)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)