Journal, 2 Aug. 1924-3 Nov. 1924 (with some later annotations and scoring out in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook, marked '1924 III', and mostly comprises diary entries on Sassoon's motoring tour with John Philbin. They include accounts of visits to Garsington (home of Lady Ottoline Morrell) and Max Gate, Dorchester (home of Thomas Hardy), where T.E. Lawrence and H.M. Tomlinson were also guests: /3v-15r, and an account of a stay with Ruth and Henry Head: /17v-18v.
The volume also includes:
- drafts of poetry: /32v-33v. 'An industrial landscape'; /34r. 'At the Grave of Henry Vaughan'; /34r-36r. 'A Ruined Castle', later called 'Cary Castle'; /37v. untitled, later called 'The Cerne Giant'; /38v. 'Stonehenge'; /39v. 'The Grandeur of Ghosts'.
- lists of distances between towns on his driving tours of the Midlands, East Anglia and South Wales: /1v-2r.
- a list of locations of nights spent away on his driving tour: /2v.
- a quotation: George Moore, '...head like a dumpling with onion sauce over it': /13r.
- a pasted in press cutting entitled 'Kaiser's nephew married' (largely worn away): /30r.
- a list of monies spent: /36v.
N.B. From folio /32 entries resume from the back of the notebook. A detached folio is to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 2 Aug. 1924-3 Nov. 1924 (with some later annotations and scoring out in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook has been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00021/1. The original item is currently unavailable for consultation due to its poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 40 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 40 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Both the covers are cracked. Folio /16 is cut away, /25 detached and /31 very loose. There are approximately four gatherings missing between folio /31 and /32.
- Hardy, Thomas, 1840-1928 (novelist and poet)
- Head, Henry, 1861-1940 (neurologist)
- Lawrence, Thomas Edward, 1888-1935 (intelligence officer and author)
- Morrell, Lady Ottoline Violet Anne, 1873-1938 (née Cavendish-Bentinck, hostess and literary patron)
- Schuster, Leo Frank, 1852-1927 (patron of the arts)
- Tomlinson, Henry Major, 1873-1958 (writer and traveller)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com