Journal, 15 May 1924-31 July 1924 (with some later annotations and scoring out in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook marked '1924 II' and mostly comprises diary entries, written in London or while staying at The Hut, Bray (home of Frankie Schuster).
Diary entries include: /17r. on receiving new poems from Robert Graves; /18r. on the gift of a car from R. Temple; /19r-20r, /24v-25r. on J.C. Squire's offer to publish his poems in an anthology; /26v-29r. on his quarrel with the Sitwells; /42v-44r. on [Edward] Elgar and /45r-45v. Walter Sickert; /55r-57r. on the wedding of Anzie Wylde; and /70v-75v. a trip to his hometown of Weirleigh, Matfield, and his old school at New Beacon with John Philbin. Individuals mentioned include Osbert Sitwell, Max Meyerfield, Bob Nichols, Ralph Hodgson, Henry Newbolt and Arnold Bennett.
The volume also includes:
- a quotation from [Sir Edward Dyre], 'All the pleasure that I find, is to maintain a quiet mind': /1v.
- drafts of poetry: /8r-9r. 'From A Guide to Elemental Behaviour'; /9v. 'The Royal Academy Unvisited'; /44v. 'Eyes'. - an extract from a letter from E.M.F. [E.M. Forster] about T.E. Lawrence: /37r. - list of monies gifted: /70r.
- prose passages: 'An Account of the Tribute to the Poet Laureate on his 80th Birthday' (concerning Robert Bridges): /82r-82v.
N.B. Detached folios are to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 15 May 1924-31 July 1924 (with some later annotations and scoring out in Siegfried Sassoon's hand)
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook has been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00020/1. The original item is currently unavailable for consultation due to its poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 83 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 83 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
The binding is loose and the front cover is cracked. Folios /52-54 and /65 have been wholly or partially cut or torn away. Folios /3, /34 and /68 are detached.
- Elgar, Sir Edward William, 1857-1934 (1st Baronet and composer)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Hodgson, Ralph, 1871-1962 (poet)
- Nichols, Robert Malise Bowyer, 1893-1944 (poet)
- Schuster, Leo Frank, 1852-1927 (patron of the arts)
- Sitwell, Sir Francis Osbert Sacheverell, 1892-1969 (5th Baronet Sitwell and author)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org