Journal, 20 July 1922-20 Nov. 1922 (with later annotations, including one dated 1930)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook, 'marked 1922 II', and mostly comprises diary entries (chiefly of Sassoon's trip to France, Germany and Italy with Walter Turner, Frankie Schuster and Philipp of Hesse). Entries also include mention of Lord Berners, Gabriel Atkin, the Sitwells, Robert Graves and Ottoline Morrell, among others.
The volume also includes:
- a list of hotels in France, Germany and Italy: /1v.
- a quotation from Gibbon, 'Autobiography': /1v.
- a sketch of a man's head (with bars superimposed): /73r.
- descriptions of visits from Robert Graves: /127r-127v & /129r.
- a dream about the sudden death of Osbert Sitwell: /131r.
- acquaintances' contact details: /134r.
- lists of monies spent: /131v-132r & /133r.
N.B. There are no loose enclosures or detached folios. After folio /131 entries resume from the back of the notebook. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 20 July 1922-20 Nov. 1922 (with later annotations, including one dated 1930)
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook has been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00019/1. The original item is currently unavailable for consultation due to its poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (maroon card covers, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 134 ff.)paper) : paper
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
both covers are cracked.
- Atkin, Gabriel, 1897-1937 (artist)
- Gosse, Sir Edmund William, 1849-1928 (Knight, writer)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Philipp, 1896-1980 (Prince and Landgrave of Hesse)
- Philpot, Glyn Warren, 1884-1937 (painter and sculptor)
- Schuster, Leo Frank, 1852-1927 (patron of the arts)
- Turner, Walter James Redfern, 1889-1946 (poet and critic)
- Wilson, Gerald Hugh Tyrwhitt-, 1883-1950 (14th Baron Berners, composer, painter and writer)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)