Journal, 8 Jan. 1921-11 July 1922 (with later annotations dated 1926, 1949 & 1967)
Scope and Contents
- quotations from Conrad, Sir J. Davies, Pope, Bertrand Russell, Goethe and Stendhal: /1b (r)-1b(v).
- list of social engagements: /7r, 8r.
- mention of the suicide of young Holloway at Nellie Burton's lodgings at Half Moon Street: /9r.
- Sassoon's work for 'The Nation' on the collieries in South Wales: /16r.
- his mother's opinion of G [Gabriel Atkin]: /26r-27r. - meeting David Cecil: /47r.
- visits from E.M. Forster: /57r & /76r. - comments on Hamo Thornycroft :/61r.
- meeting T.S. Eliot: /63r.
- point-to-point races with Norman Loder: /66r-67r.
- seeing J.W.H. Crosland again since his attacks on Robbie Ross with Lord Alfred Douglas: /68r.
- on Robert Graves and his own less than cordial behaviour towards him: /7r, /77r-78r & /91r; and on meeting Graves with T.E. Lawrence: /78r-79r.
- on Blunden and on the sexual element to his friendships with Robert Graves and Toronto [Frank] Prewett: /90r-91r.
- the death and funeral of William Halse Rivers, with reminiscences: /92r, /94r-95r, /97r.
- on dinners with the Gosses: /93r.
- on visits to the de la Mares :/110r
It also includes mention of stays at Garsington (home of Lady Ottoline Morrell) and numerous references to Osbert and Edith Sitwell, 'Little' [Edmund] Blunden, Frankie Schuster, Bob Nichols, Thomas Hardy, Eddie Marsh, and W.H. Davies, among others.
N.B. A detached folio is to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is mainly original. Some of the entries in this notebook are copied from the journal at MS Add.9852/1/18.
- 8 Jan. 1921-11 July 1922 (with later annotations dated 1926, 1949 & 1967)
Conditions Governing Access
1 volume(s) (1 volume (green vellum, decorated endpapers, 120 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (green vellum, decorated endpapers, 120 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
- Atkin, Gabriel, 1897-1937 (artist)
- Barrie, Sir James Matthew, 1860-1937 (Baronet, playwright and novelist)
- Blunden, Edmund Charles, 1896-1974 (poet)
- Eliot, Thomas Stearns, 1888-1965 (poet)
- Forster, Edward Morgan, 1879-1970 (novelist and critic)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Head, Henry, 1861-1940 (neurologist)
- Lawrence, Arnold Walter, 1900-1991 (archaeologist)
- Marsh, Sir Edward Howard, 1872-1953 (Knight, public servant and patron of the arts)
- Morrell, Lady Ottoline Violet Anne, 1873-1938 (née Cavendish-Bentinck, hostess and literary patron)
- Prewett, Frank James, 1893-1962 (poet, writer and farmer)
- Rivers, William Halse Rivers, 1864-1922 (psychologist and anthropologist)
- Schuster, Leo Frank, 1852-1927 (patron of the arts)
- Sitwell, Dame Edith Louisa, 1887-1964 (poet, critic and eccentric)
- Sitwell, Sir Francis Osbert Sacheverell, 1892-1969 (5th Baronet Sitwell and author)
- Thornycroft, Sir William Hamo, 1850-1925 (Knight, sculptor)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)