Journal, 8 Aug. 1921-2 Mar. 1922 (diary entries start at 24 August 1921)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook (marked '1921 Rome' on the front cover) and mostly comprises diary entries, together with preparatory notes for poetry and prose.
Diary entries include: /14r-21r. an account of a visit to Renshaw Hall [home of the Sitwells] in September 1921, with comments on Osbert Sitwell; /22r-23v. entries concerning Elgar; entries written /28r. at Tintern Abbey, /28v-30. at Max Gate, home of 'T.H.' [Thomas Hardy], /30v-33v. on a trip to Rome [with Frank 'Toronto' Prewett], and /42v-45r. at Cirencester [with Norman Loder].
The volume also includes:
- drafts of poetry: /4r-5r. untitled, begins 'It is rumoured of God Almighty'; /6r-10a(v). 'The Last Judgement'; /11r-12r. 'Dives and Lazarus'; /12r. 'My Message'.
- quotations: /2v. Landor, begins 'There is a gloom in deep love'; /3r. Shelley, begins 'Murmured names and spells'; /12v. Nietzsche, begins 'In respect to artists of every kind'; /13v. Shelley, marked 'Reason and Imagination'; /71v. T[homas] H[ardy] quoting Job.XV.17, 'That which I have seen I will declare'.
- prose passages: /38v-39r. 'Prelude to a self-revealing journal'; /39v-41r. 'After-effects of an intellectual discussion at Cambridge'; /41v-42r. 'Conversation in a tea-car' (with Mr Elwes).
- pen and ink drawings: /2r. semi-abstract image containing two male figures; /10b(r). semi-abstract image labelled 'The serpent Lust; shapes of distracted Angels: I am Orestes fighting with my furies'; /10b(v) semi-abstract image containing a figure and a face; /69v. abstract lines containing the letters A.M.L.
- notes on The Last Judgement and religious enthusiasm: /3v.
- list of manuscripts of poems by Wilfred Owen, annotated with probable dates and thoughts on quality: /72r-73v; together with a second list of 'Poems returned to Mrs Owen as no good': /71r.
- notes on incentives for writing: /36r; and on reasons for keeping a journal: /36v-37v.
- list of social engagements October 1921-March 1922: /34v-35v.
N.B. After folio /69 entries resume from the back of the notebook. Detached folios are to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's. Blank from folios /45v-69r.
- 8 Aug. 1921-2 Mar. 1922 (diary entries start at 24 August 1921)
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook has been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00016/1. The original item is currently unavailable for consultation due to its poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (red morocco, front pocket, marbled endpapers, metal clasp, 76 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (red morocco, front pocket, marbled endpapers, metal clasp, 76 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
folios /32-38 are detached.
- Elgar, Sir Edward William, 1857-1934 (1st Baronet and composer)
- Hardy, Thomas, 1840-1928 (novelist and poet)
- Prewett, Frank James, 1893-1962 (poet, writer and farmer)
- Rivers, William Halse Rivers, 1864-1922 (psychologist and anthropologist)
- Schuster, Leo Frank, 1852-1927 (patron of the arts)
- Sitwell, Sir Francis Osbert Sacheverell, 1892-1969 (5th Baronet Sitwell and author)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org