Journal, 5 Dec. 1916-11 Feb. 1917 (diary entries start on 22 December 1916)
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook and mostly comprises diary entries written while Sassoon was at the Regimental Depot in Litherland.
The diary entries include occasional references to Robert [Graves] and his poetry (e.g. /2r, /18r, /25r and /40v).
The volume also includes:
- lists of members of his section and their fates: /1v.
- drafts of poetry: /6r. untitled, begins 'On pain of death let no man name death to me'; /14v-15r. 'The dead soldiers', later called 'Enemies'; /16v-17r. untitled, begins 'When I am in a blaze of lights', [later called 'When I'm among a Blaze of Lights']; /23r-23v. untitled, begins 'England has many heroes'; /31v-32r. 'The Elgar Violin Concerto', later called 'Enigma Variations'; /35r-37r. 'Death and Summer', later called 'Serenity'; /77v. untitled, begins 'I came into the hut and found'.
- sketches and doodles: /41r. a steam ship; /44r. abstract curved lines; /44v. a ?dancer with arms raised; /46v. two ?conductors; in the background are four faces and a ?ladder.
- excerpts from letters from: Lady Ottoline Morrell: /18v-19r; Nevill Forbes, Robbie Ross and Roderick Meiklejohn, January 1917: /72r-75r; and Garsington: /78r-79v, together with 'More pacifism from Garsington': /73v.
- quotations: /1r. Campion, 'When thou must home'; /1v. Francis Thompson, 'I fall into the claws of time'; /7r. Ch.Ch.M.S. 'For 'tis a duteous thing' and Herrick, 'Let the dark not thee cumber'; /10r. Mr Britling, beginning 'Everywhere cunning'; /12r. Swinburne, 'O sleepless heart'; /28v-29r, /30r, /37v. [Moore], 'The Brook Kerith'; /30r. Gösta Berling, 'I am no suicide'; /38v. T.W.H. Crosland, 'Epitaph'; /43r. Viscount Morley on Lloyd George; /68v-69r. J. Masefield, 'Roses are beauty'. - a list of clothing items and of diary dates: /40v.
- 'list of people Robert Graves wants his book sent to': /75v-77r.
- acquaintances' contact details: /1v; /84r. - ?list of monies spent: /80v.
N.B. Sassoon wrote from both ends of this notebook; from folio /68v entries resume from the opposite end. Folios /48r-68r & /69v-73r are blank. There are no loose enclosures or detached folios. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 5 Dec. 1916-11 Feb. 1917 (diary entries start on 22 December 1916)
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook has been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00008/1. The original item is currently unavailable for consultation due to its poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (black cloth, patterned endpapers, elasticated tie, 84 ff.) paper) : paper
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
This item is fragile. Folios are missing from the first gathering which is loose. Folios are attached with discoloured pressure sensitive tape. Folios with protruding edge tears. Folios /21, /32a, and /80-83 have been partially cut away.
- Forbes, Nevill, 1883-1929 (Slavonic scholar)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Meiklejohn, Sir Roderick Sinclair, 1876-1962 (Knight, civil servant)
- Morrell, Lady Ottoline Violet Anne, 1873-1938 (née Cavendish-Bentinck, hostess and literary patron)
- Ross, Robert Baldwin, 1869-1918 (journalist and gallery owner)
- Royal Welch Fusiliers (23rd Foot)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)