Journal, 17 Nov. 1915-13 Mar. 1916
Scope and Contents
The volume is a ruled notebook and mainly comprises diary entries.
Significant entries include: /5r. descriptions of the journey to France and to base camp at Etaples; /5v. the march to Festubert; Robert Graves /6r and his poetry /7r; / 7r-8r. the march to Bourecq, with descriptions of his fellow soldiers; /8r. his wish for 'a genuine taste of the horrors'; descriptions of Bourecq /9r, Montagne /9v and the Somme Valley /13v; /17v. a brigade field day between Lincheux and Fricourt; /21r. his appointment as Transport Officer; /21v. a visit to Amiens; /23v. the march to Morlancourt; /27v. his battalion at the Front Line near Fricourt; /28r. notice of leave taken in England; /36r. impressions on leaving Southampton.
The volume also includes:
- notes from military briefing meetings: /29r-31v.
- drafts of poetry: /13r. 'A Child's Faith', later called 'A Poet's Faith' or 'Simpleton'; /13v. 'A Man's Faith', later called 'Brothers'; /14v. 'The Prince of Peace', later called 'The Prince of Wounds'; /15v. 'Testament'; /17v. 'To Victory'; /19v. 'Druids'; /20r. 'January'; /20v. 'Glory: 1916'; /25r 'In the Pink'; /25v. 'Love' and 'The Rainbow'; /26r. 'The Silver Stems'; and 'Falling Asleep'; /26v-27r. 'Pastoral'.
- a sketch of a man leaning on a table, largely erased: /3r.
- lists of members of his ?battalion: /38r.
- quotations: /4v. Walter de la Mare's 'Music' and Gordon Bottomley's 'Remorse' and 'Youth'; poems by Robert Graves: /32r. 'Willaree'; /32v. 'The Morning before the Battle'; /33r. 'On Finding myself a Soldier'; /33v. 'Ghost Music'; /34r. 'In the Wilderness'; and /34v. 'The Face of the Heavens'.
- acquaintances' contact details: /1v-4r; /39v-40r.
N.B. Sassoon wrote from both ends of this notebook; from ff. /32r-40v entries resume from the opposite end. Enclosures are to be found in a separate envelope. The foliation is the archivist's.
- 17 Nov. 1915-13 Mar. 1916
Conditions Governing Access
This notebook and its enclosures have been digitised and can be viewed in full on the Cambridge Digital Library at http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-09852-00001-00004/1. The original items are currently unavailable for consultation due to their poor physical condition.
1 volume(s) (1 volume (small 16mo, maroon morocco, front pocket, 40 ff.); 1 envelope paper) : paper
1 envelope(s) (1 volume (small 16mo, maroon morocco, front pocket, 40 ff.); 1 envelope paper)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Fragile: binding is cracked and loose.
- Bottomley, Gordon, 1874-1948 (poet and dramatist)
- Graves, Robert von Ranke, 1895-1985 (poet and author)
- Hanmer, Robert Hugh, 1895-1971 (Lieutenant, Royal Welch Fusiliers and Group Captain Royal Air Force)
- Royal Welch Fusiliers (23rd Foot)
- Thomas, David Cuthbert, 1895-1916 (Second Lieutenant, Royal Welch Fusiliers)
- From the Fonds: Sassoon, Siegfried Loraine, 1886-1967 (poet and author) (Person)