Correspondence about loans of books to the exhibition 'Modern books and writers' at the National Book League Apr.-Sept. 1951 and the British Council travelling exhibition 'British Books of our times', 1950-1951
Scope and Contents
Correspondents include John Baker, David Bland, the British Council (Ruth Atkinson), John Carter, Dennis Cohen, J. Compton, Desmond Flower, Golden Cockerell Press, Joan Hassall, Robert Leighton, National Book League (Elizabeth Edmondston), Oxford University Press (Charles Batey, Geoffrey Cumberledge, Patricia Faulkner), J. M. Richards, Michael Sadleir, Charles J. Sawyer, Martin Secker, James Shand, and Aubrey West. With the letters is a printed programme of book exhibitions for the Festival of Britain. Meynell and Desmond Flower were responsible for the half of each exhibition illustrating 'the renascence of book design in Great Britain'.
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
2 folder(s) (2 folders)
Language of Materials
- Batey, Charles Edward, b 1893 (printer to Oxford University)
- Carter, John Waynflete, 1905-1975 (bibliographer)
- Cumberlege, Geoffrey Fenwick Jocelyn, 1891-1979 (publisher)
- Flower, Desmond John Newman, 1907-1997 (publisher)
- Hassall, Joan, 1906-1988 (painter and wood engraver)
- Sadleir, Michael Thomas Harvey, 1888-1957 (novelist and book collector)
- Secker, Martin, 1882-1978 (publisher)
- Shand, James, d 1967 (printer)
- From the Fonds: Meynell, Sir Francis Meredith Wilfrid, 1891-1975 (Knight, publisher and poet) (Person)