Levuka old capital, 1880 - 1885
Scope and Contents
223 x 176 mm. A view from a hill behind Levuka looking along the waterfront and showing shops and warehouses, and the town in the foreground. The capital was moved to Suva in 1882, and Levuka as a commercial centre lost most of its attraction. After a hurricane in 1886, many of the destroyed buildings were not replaced, and a comparison of photographs taken in 1880 and 1906 shows the town actually contracting in size.
- 1880 - 1885
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date
- From the Fonds: Ragg, Hugh Hall, fl1885 (engineer) (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com