St George's Cathedral, 1880 - 1889
Scope and Contents
267x222mm. General view of the Cathedral, situated in the western part of the town off Mount Road. Based securely on Gibbs' patterns for churches, the Cathedral is in temple form with a central spire and in general appearance not unlike St Martin in the Fields. Major differences are in the use of the Ionic Order in the portico and in the aedicules, pilasters and porticos on the north and south walls. The steeple is a precise copy of the one designed by Gibbs for a circular church. Designed by James Caldwell of the Madras Engineers and erected by Thomas De Havilland, the church was consecrated in 1816. Photographer unknown, probably John P Nicholas and Co.
- 1880 - 1889
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date
- From the Fonds: Elsy, R, fl1880 - 1889 (Person)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org