A group of H.E. the Viceroy's elephants with their state trappings, 1860 - 1869
Scope and Contents
290 x 228 mm. Photograph, probably taken at Barrackpore (see Y3022E/15), showing a group of five elephants with mahouts, howdahs and decorative trappings (jhools) of scarlet cloth edged with gold. A large stud of elephants was housed in the park at Barrackpore for the use of the Governor General and for the amusement of his guests. The number of animals decreased over the years, until by the time of Lord Elgin's arrival in India in 1893 only one animal survived. It was therefore decided to abolish altogether the hatikhana and in January 1895 the howdah and equipment, with the exception of the State Howdah and ten shooting howdahs, were sold by auction. The State Howdah, which can be seen on the back of the third elephant from the left, and which was ridden in by amongst others the Prince of Wales in 1875-76, Lord Lytton at the Imperial Assemblage at Delhi in 1877, and Lord and Lady Curzon at the Delhi Durbar of 1903, was transferred to the Vice Regal Lodge at Simla. Unsigned and unnumbered but possibly Bourne no. 1132D. Duplicates at Y3022B/100 and Y3022G/80.
- 1860 - 1869
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Language of Materials
DateText: The date is approximate..
Finding aid date